- Impacting Millions Program – launched once a year: helps people master the publicity games so that they can get the opportunities of a lifetime that really put them in front of more people; from being on podcasts, top websites, magazines and TV; learning how to be a guest expert in other people’s programs, whether you’re speaking to their Masterminding group or another premium group or membership site of theirs; creating that ripple effect where other people are talking about you – so you need to have a clear message
- So what I love about the year-long mastermind I have is that I’m able to work with people and such a deep and comprehensive way. And I feeling all of us need mentors. I think it’s virtually impossible to get to the next level with no support. Because there’s a million things to figure out in your business. So when you got a mentor and a community of like-minded people who are showing up to help you and support you and inspire – the journey is just so much more fun and rewarding.
- There should be someone on your side who wants to support you and who wants to help you get out there, what’s the worst that’s going to happen.
- We’re always our own worst critic.
- It’s easy to compare ourselves to people who we admire that we see speaking in big stages; who are amazing on camera and who seem so eloquent.
- To be successful in business, theres a saying that you really need to feel and you have to do it anyway. You just start before youre 100% ready.
- Its okay to know that you’re not the best version of yourself yet, but you know you can be.
- Sharing is what’s really gonna help people even if it’s not perfect.
- I find that people have trouble even answering a very basic question that we get asked almost everyday, which is what do you do? Sometimes our messaging isnt clear.
- We need to get clear on our messaging. If we cant convey what we do to other people, then theres no way that they can share our work with more people.
- Get really clear on what you want to be known for.
- One of favorite topics is the difference between niche and mainstream topics, which is truly important when youre pursuing media.
Levels of the Publicity Pyramid:
- Baseline for online presence website; youre showing out to the world what you want to be known for our
- Guest Post – the best way to for someone to get started; share your ideas in depth; express what you want to be known for
- Podcasts and Video – more niche opportunities
- Magazines – mainstream media, which is a huge credibility market
- TV top level
You have to go in this sequential order and build your base; build your body of work so that you’re ready for these opportunities.
- Start small. Build that foundation. And then work our way up.
- One tip in building relationships: dont always ask for big favors right away. The key is bringing people to our world and asking for advice.
- Ask for advice, not favors. When you ask for advice, it becomes a dialogue
More About Selena:
Selena Soo is a publicity and marketing strategist for visionary entrepreneurs, experts, and authors who want to reach millions with their message.
Shes helped clients and students get featured in places like O, The Oprah Magazine, Forbes, and Inc., and land interviews on popular podcasts and national TV. Many of Selena’s clients have become industry leaders with 7-figure businesses, raving fan bases, and hundreds of thousands of followers. Her signature approach comes down to building powerful and long-lasting relationships with influencers and the media in a thoughtful, authentic way.
Selena has been featured in magazines and websites like Forbes, Fast Company, Inc., Business Insider, Entrepreneur, Success, and The Huffington Post. She has been a guest on podcasts like Entrepreneur On Fire, Smart Passive Income, and Mixergy. She lives in New York City.
Relationships that made an impact:
- Ramit Sethi – I Will Teach You to Be Rich, Growth Lab
- Daniel LaPorte
- Maria Forleo
- For guest posts: Thrive Global, My Body Green, Forbes
- impactingmillions.com/gotogal coming soon!
Read the transcript: